These strawberries are not summer sweet yet but they should get there when the weather warms up.
There is a good amount of fennel this week. Enough to try roasting it with some onions. Even the kohlrabi too. Here is a recipe for roasted fennel and onions. Use all the fennel in this recipe though and only cut off the frons, the stalks are super young so cook them even though the recipe says to use the bulb only.
Butter-Lettuce Salad with Strawberries, Avocado, Walnuts & Chèvre
This Recipe is from Yankee Magazine May 2012
Yield: 6 servings
Sweet-tart berries are the perfect foil for rich avocado and creamy, fresh goat cheese. Add soft curls of butter lettuce, walnuts, and red onion, and you have a gorgeous salad.
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup white or red balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a medium-size bowl, whisk together vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt, and pepper. Drizzle olive oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until an emulsion forms. Set aside.
For the salad:
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 large head butter lettuce (also called Boston or Bibb lettuce), leaves separated
- 2 cups (about 10 ounces) small to medium-size strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces chevre (fresh goat cheese), crumbled
In a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-low heat, toast walnuts, stirring often, until lightly browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
Toss lettuce with enough vinaigrette to coat leaves lightly. Arrange on 6 plates. Gently toss berries, avocado slices, and onion in more vinaigrette and divide among plates. Top with walnuts and chèvre.
Braised Bok Choy With Bacon
“Southern Style for All You Carnivores!”
Have a Great Weekend.