1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Several sprigs of fresh oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/3 of a cup)
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Add Brussels sprouts to the pot of boiling water and blanch for three minutes. Drain. In a large mixing bowl, add the Brussels sprouts, onion, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and mix until the ingredients are well blended.
In a large casserole, pour just enough oil to cover the bottom. Add the vegetable mixture to the casserole. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and vinegar.
Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips With Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems and center ribs cut out and chopped together, leaves coarsely chopped separately
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt to taste (optional)
- Melt butter and olive oil together in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the chard stems and the white wine. Simmer until the stems begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chard leaves, and cook until wilted. Finally, stir in lemon juice and Parmesan cheese; season to taste with salt if needed.