bag of mixed chard and spinach
hand full of broccoli
3 varieties of baby romaine lettuce
butternut or spaghetti squash
Shrimp Tacos With Cabbage, Avocado, Feta And Cilantro
The sweetness of the shrimp goes great with the brininess of the feta, the creamy avocados and the spicy jalapeños. You might add some sour cream on top, too.
1 pound shrimp, peeled
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 head cabbage, very thinly sliced
2 limes or lemons, zested and juiced
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
1 ripe avocado, cubed
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 large tortillas
hot sauce to taste
1. Preheat the broiler to high.
2. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with 2 teaspoons of the vegetable oil, the cumin, coriander and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper. Thread the shrimp onto wooden skewers. Put them under the broiler and cook them until they’re pink and just cooked through, 2-3 minutes per side.
3. Meanwhile, slice the cabbage and prep the limes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime zest and remaining olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Toss in the cabbage to combine with the vinaigrette.
4. Prep the feta, jalapeño, avocado and cilantro, and place each in a small bowl. Put the tortillas under the broiler for a minute or so until they become soft and pliable. Fill the warm tortillas with the shrimp, cabbage, avocado, feta, cilantro and hot sauce to taste.
Caramelized Butternut squash
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 1 1/4 hr
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2 Cut off the ends of each butternut squash and discard.
- 3 Peel the squash and cut in half lengthwise.
- 4 Using a spoon, remove the seeds.
- 5 Cut the squash into 1 1/4″ to 1 1/2″ cubes (large and uniform is best), and place them on a baking sheet.
- 6 Add the melted butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- 7 With clean hands, toss all of the ingredients together and spread out in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- 8 Roast for 45 minutes to 55 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze begins to caramelize.
- 9 Turn the squash while roasting a few times with a spatula to be sure it browns evenly.
- 10 Adjust seasonings if needed.
- 11 Serve hot.
- 12 Enjoy!
Basic Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Basically, I prefer to cut the squash in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and place both halves face down on a greased cookie sheet. I cook them at 325 for about 1/2 hour or until the skin does not push back when pressed. While the squash is cooking is usually when I decide how I want to dress it when I take it out.
Sometimes I add parmesan cheese and fresh tomato with oregano.
It is also nice to simply add pesto sauce to the scraped out “squash noodles”
Or even just lime and butter.